A Look Back: My First Custom Bag – BK35 Raisin Clemence

 



There is a distinct, unforgettable thrill that comes with unboxing a luxury piece, but that feeling is amplified tenfold when the item is entirely bespoke. Years ago, after much deliberation, mood-boarding, and anticipation, I finally took the plunge and ordered my very first custom bag: a Birkin 35 in Raisin Clemence leather with brushed gold hardware. Looking back, this piece remains one of the most significant and cherished milestones in my personal collecting journey. It wasn't just an accessory; it was a physical manifestation of a style evolution and an exercise in patience.

The Inspiration: Why the BK35?

When most people enter the world of luxury leather goods today, the instinct is often to gravitate toward smaller, trendier silhouettes like the 25cm or 30cm variants. However, my heart was firmly set on the classic BK35 (Birkin 35).

As someone who appreciates a blend of effortless functionality and timeless presence, the 35cm size offered a generous canvas. It has a commanding yet understated architectural structure. I envisioned a bag that could effortlessly transition from a busy travel day to a structured corporate environment—a true workhorse that looked better the more it was worn. The larger scale allows the leather to slouch gracefully over time, developing a unique character that smaller bags simply cannot replicate in the same way.

The Leather and Colorway: Raisin in Clemence

Choosing the leather and color combination was perhaps the most agonizing yet rewarding part of the process. I knew I wanted something versatile, but I wanted to steer clear of the ubiquitous neutrals like black, gold, or etain. That is when I discovered Raisin.

  • The Hue: Raisin is a deep, complex purple with strong brown undertones. In direct sunlight, it reveals a rich, regal eggplant vibrancy; in dim indoor lighting, it reads almost as an enigmatic, sophisticated black or dark chocolate. This chameleon-like quality made it surprisingly versatile for everyday wear.

  • The Leather: I selected Clemence leather (bullhide) for its renowned slouch, durability, and rich matte texture. Clemence features a wider, flatter grain than Togo leather, giving it a softer hand-feel and a heavier, more luxurious drape. I knew that a 35cm bag in Clemence would eventually develop a relaxed, slouchy elegance that felt lived-in and deeply personal, rather than stiff and formal.

To tie the entire aesthetic together, I opted for brushed gold hardware (also known as permabrass or brushed permabrass, depending on the atelier's specific finish offerings). Unlike polished gold, which can sometimes feel loud or flashy, brushed gold offers a subtle, understated warmth that complements the deep, earthy undertones of the Raisin leather.

The Waiting Game and the Unboxing

Ordering a bespoke or custom-allocated piece is an exercise in delayed gratification. Months bled into a year. During that time, my excitement morphed into a quiet anticipation. I imagined all the places the bag would go and the outfits it would anchor.

When the call finally came, the unboxing experience felt almost ceremonial. Lifting the lid of the iconic orange box revealed the rich, dark aroma of quality leather combined with the crisp rustle of tissue paper. Pulling back the dust bag for the first time took my breath away. The Raisin Clemence caught the light, and the brushed gold hardware gleamed softly against the deep purple canvas. It was love at first sight—everything I had imagined, materialized.

Living with a BK35: Lessons Learned

Now, looking back after years of companionship with my first custom creation, I have learned a few invaluable lessons about luxury ownership and bag care:

  1. Weight is Real: A 35cm bag crafted from heavy Clemence leather is not lightweight, especially when fully loaded with a laptop, makeup pouch, keys, and daily essentials. Over time, carrying it crook-of-the-arm style builds a surprising amount of upper-body strength!

  2. Embrace the Slouch: Initially, I worried about keeping the bag pristine and structured. However, letting Clemence do what it naturally wants to do—slouch and soften—transformed the bag from a rigid status symbol into an effortlessly chic companion.

  3. Color Versatility: Raisin proved to be one of the smartest color choices I could have made. It anchors navy, grey, camel, beige, and white ensembles with an unexpected richness that black simply cannot achieve.

Final Thoughts

Your first custom luxury piece always holds a sacred space in your heart. My BK35 in Raisin Clemence taught me the value of buying for longevity rather than chasing seasonal trends. It represents a chapter of personal growth, a refined appreciation for craftsmanship, and a bold embrace of color. Years later, despite additions to my collection, this piece remains the crown jewel—a timeless reminder that the best style investments are the ones infused with your own personal story.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Ultimate Icon: A Comprehensive Guide to the Hermès Birkin 30 in Étoupe with Togo Leather and Palladium Hardware

The Museum of the Arm: Why Collectors Love Looking at Bags More Than Carrying Them